Search for a film
Building the Gherkin
Mirjam von Arx
Can a single building impact the career of an architect, the image of a global company and even the skyline of a big city? Just a month and a day after the disastrous attack on the World Trade Center in New York, the first steel beam of a new tower is erected in London. One question is on everybody's mind: is it the right decision to build a new iconic tower in the midst of London's financial district, on a site that has already been bombed before? The 40-storey steel and glass tower sparks further controversy. Norman Foster, one of Britain's most visionary architects, calls his design for the new Swiss Re London headquarters radial – socially, technically, architecturally and spatially. In fact, its size and shape are so radical that it is almost immediately nicknamed “the erotic gherkin”. Will the Gherkin become the landmark they all dream?
To avoid global environmental catastrophe, every country has to adopt sustainable development strategies. Sustainability requires us to think holistically: the location and function of a building; its flexibility and life-span; its orientation, its form and structure; its heating and ventilation systems, and the materials used, all impact upon the amount of energy used to build, run and maintain it.Virtually every new building can be designed to run on a fraction of current energy levels.
Mirjam von Arx
Born in 1966 in Weinfelden. Studies at Ringier Journalism School. 1991-94 Freelance journalist in New York. 1994-95 Works as arts editor for “10 vor 10” German Swiss Broadcasting Service (SF DRS), thereafter as correspondent for Swiss television in the USA and London and independent director. 2002 Founding of ican films GmbH.
- BUILDING THE GHERKIN von Mirjam von Arx am 21. März auf 3sat 2008-03-21
- THE GIANT BUDDHAS wins a prize in Montréal 2007-03-22
- The architect Norman Foster in the BUILDING THE GHERKIN by Mirjam von Arx 2006-08-31
- Website BUILDING THE GUERKIN
- Website Forster and Partners: Swiss Re Headquarters
- Website of the Building
- Kritik filmstarts.de: BUILDING THE GHERKIN
- Kritik Tagesspiegel: Gag mit Gurke
- Channel 4: Building of the Year. The RIBA Stirling prize
- reggie.net: London Gherkin - the new Sir Norman Foster building - photos
- Erotic Gherkin - Photos
- 3d-Model of the Gherkin
- Wikipedia Norman Foster
- CNN: Building a sustainable future (by Norman Foster)
- ican films
Price: 42.00 CHF
Send me a notice when the DVD is available